It’s taken me three years and plenty of frogs to make an amazing discovery. (It also took dozens of little observations to allow myself to see to the big picture.) My perfect partner? Well, she’s about 5’2”, a bit bruised and battered, walks with a slight limp, is tons of fun and a tad quirky. (Here’s a hint- she LOVES vodka.)
Yeah, it’s me.
I’ve held true to the belief that in order to live life and perhaps along the road find a kind and loving companion, you have to say “yes” to certain invitations and give people chances –and hopefully they’ll give you a chance. (I also have to put myself out there and initiate invitations myself!) While I have been a bit jostled in the process, I’ve also laughed and smiled on many more occasions.
At this point in my journey, I like these particular qualities in myself:
1. I do NOT own a Harley, a Honda, or a Yamaha motorcyle. Sure, many people LOVE them; I’m just not one of them. (I fit into a tiny, tiny group of divorced people who did NOT run out and buy a motorcycle. Frankly, that group consists mostly of women…and we MIGHT, however, have a few more pairs of shoes.)
2. I did not move in with anyone a week or a month after ending a marriage. I am also not living with the person I am trying so very hard to divorce. (Call me crazy, but that’s not appealing…)
3. I do not post ten year-old pictures of myself on various dating websites, nor do I claim to be ten years younger than I actually am. (Believe it or not, you sometimes can tell a person’s true age…)
4. I do not want to date anyone ten or fifteen years younger than me. Really, I don’t. (If you don’t know the names Bobby Sherman, Davy Jones, Gilda Radner or Boz Scaggs, we might not be compatible.)
5. I don’t have “the love of my life” hiding in the closet somewhere ready to come back to me whenever he feels like it. (Frankly, I’m waiting for the love of my life.)
6. If I ask you out on a date, I won’t sit at the bar and watch the TV monitor the whole time. (Sweet Cheezus, I know why some men are still single.)
At this point I’ve decided to plan a lovely evening with myself. And you know what? I might even splurge on a new pair of shoes…..