It is NOT YOUR FAULT.....
Advice to young girls:
1. When someone likes you and won’t leave you alone (for two years) when you ask him to leave you alone- there is something wrong.
2. When you are worried that there is something wrong with a situation and you are getting SCARED, tell someone. Tell your best friend, tell your teacher, tell the Dare/police officer at school, tell your sister or TELL YOUR PARENTS. We are here to keep you safe.
3. When a person scares you and makes you too nervous to go anywhere alone- you must ask for help. That is what your parents DO, that is what police officers DO and that is what FRIENDS do. They help.
4. Always be aware of your surroundings. Keep a hundred eyes open – when you go to your car, when you go to the store, when you walk to your school – always, always, always be aware of what’s around you.
5. If said someone tried to approach you and engage you in conversation – go the other direction. Get our your phone and CALL 911!! And, I repeat, DO NOT ENGAGE in conversation with said scary person. And if that person shows up outside your classroom even though they DON'T go to school there, go TELL SOMEONE.
6. If a police officer tells you that said person is dangerous – believe it. We do.
7. Be brave, be safe, make good choices- but never, never, never blame yourself for the actions of others.
8. And, most importantly, no matter WHAT might have happened with said “person” it is NOT YOUR FAULT that this is happening. Did you hear that? IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT.
That’s not ten things, but you people know that I can’t count.
I want to thank you ALL for your marvelous advice, your emails, your ideas and your comforting thoughts. We all deal with “life issues” daily, don’t we? Some are scarier than others, and some require some help.
It’s incredible to know that with a quick peck of the computer we can surround ourselves with love and support.
I am amazed.
And very, very thankful.